Whenever I find myself feeling sad, if my Spotify crying playlist or wailing to my Mom on the phone isn’t doing the trick, there comes a point when I realize I need to get out of my house. Not in a “go-for-a-walk-in-nature” kinda way. I need a destination. Preferably one with fluorescent lighting and several aisles of things I have no intention of buying. I need, what I like to refer to as, an emotional-support errand.
The rules surrounding emotional-support errands are loose. You don’t actually have to need anything and you definitely don’t need to buy anything. You just need somewhere low-stakes to wander around.
For me, that might mean walking to the TJ Maxx near my apartment just to “see what they have,” a phrase that has gotten me through more bad moods than I care to admit. Or, it might mean wandering through HomeGoods and looking at every single rug as though I’m about to make a major purchase. Am I taking an 8x10 rug home with me? Absolutely not. But there’s something about having a tiny inconsequential mission that is guaranteed to pull me out of a funk.
And sometimes, yes, I come home with a cute new outfit. I’m only human!
Double Dog Dare You: This weekend, take yourself on an emotional support errand. My vote is for TJ Maxx, but Target works too.
No comments:
Post a Comment